Saturday, August 18, 2012

Honey Bun Cake

Ok, I was totally excited today, one of my favorite treats as a young girl were honey buns!!! so when I found this recipe I almost passed out...lol To this day I still love them, even my stepdad loves them I buy him "2" pretty much every week and boy does he knock them off asap...lol I'm not mad at him...lol

Well folks the cake tasted like a coffee cake, don't get me wrong it was very good, matter of fact my sister almost ate the whole thing, she really enjoyed it...lol I guess I was a little disappointed due to the fact that it didn't taste anything like a HONEY BUN!!! however I'll let you be the judge. It's worth the try, it's semi-homemade and very easy.

Oh yeah, I didn't use pecans I know I always find a way to use pecans...well the reasons I didn't use pecans #1 my niece don't like nuts and #2 there are NO pecans in honey buns...I wanted it to be authentic. They were optional anyway.





 

 



 
 






For the cake:

·  Vegetable oil spray, for misting the pan

·  1 package (15 ounces) yellow  cake mix

·  1/4 cup (half of a 3.4-ounce package) vanilla instant pudding mix

·  1 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 3 large eggs, 2T milk

·  1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

·  For the filling

·  1/4 cup honey

·  1/3 cup lightly packed light brown sugar

·  2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

·  1/3 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)

·  For the glaze

·  1 cup confectioner's sugar

·  2-3 tablespoons milk

  1/2 t vanilla

 

 

Make the cake: Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly mist a 13 by 9–inch metal baking pan with vegetable oil spray and set the pan aside.

Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until the ingredients are just incorporated, 30 seconds. Stop the machine and scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat the batter until smooth, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer, scraping down the side of the bowl again if needed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula.

Make the filling: Drizzle the honey evenly over the top of the batter. Place the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans, if using, in a small mixing bowl and stir to combine. Spoon the filling over the top of the cake. Using a dinner knife, swirl the brown sugar mixture into the cake batter to marble it.

Place the pan in the oven and bake the cake until it is golden brown and the top springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let the cake cool completely, 20 minutes, before slicing and serving.

Note: Okay, if you've got to have the glaze, whisk 2 to 3 tablespoons of milk into 1 cup of confectioners' sugar and pour it over the warm cake.

.

 
Tips
1. don’t overcook cake
 
2. Keep It Fresh! Store the cake in the pan, covered with plastic wrap, at room temperature for up to three days
3. Freeze the cake, wrapped in aluminum foil, for up to one month. Let the cake thaw overnight on the kitchen counter before frosting.





 
*If you have a dessert recipe that you are having trouble with or afraid to try, please send it to me along with a picture and I will give it a shot….
P.S. I don’t like coconut 
 
I hope you enjoy
 
Bon appétit in Vietnamese - Ăn ngon nhé / Chúc ngon miệng
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment