Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lite Yellow cupcakes

This is week 3 of our healthy desserts, lol....These dessert aren't bad at all it just take some getting use to. When you are trying to eat right and are craving something sweet these desserts are perfect. They are vegan, low fat, or lite with low fat or fat free topping. 

This week was easy and you all know I love easy...







ready!!!!




I added a huge dollup of fat free whipped cream








2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup sugar
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour*
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups fat free vanilla soy milk






*If you don't have pastry flour substitute with 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour and 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour. **I used unbleached flour and sifted it twice.**

 
Directions


1. In a large bowl, using a fork, mix well the unsweetened applesauce, sugar, egg whites, vanilla extract, and lemon extract.


2.Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add this to the wet mixture alternately with soy milk, beating well after each addition.


3. Spread evenly into a greased and floured 13X9 sheet pan or two 9 in round baking pans, or cupcake pans.


Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.




Glaze (optional)

In a small sauce pan on low heat combine 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or lemon extract, tsp milk and continually stir until sugar is dissolved completely. Use teaspoon to drizzle on top of cake.


Tips

1. I used unbleached flour and sifted it twice to make if fine.
2. Skim or 1% milk can be substituted
3. I didn't use the glaze instead I used fat free whipped topping.



*If you have a dessert recipe that you are having trouble with or afraid to try, please send it to me along with a picture and I will give it a shot….



P.S. I don’t like coconut


I hope you enjoy



Bon appétit in Hawaiian- E ʻai ka-ua (you and I), E ʻai ka-kou (2+ people)










No comments:

Post a Comment