This week was easy and you all know I love easy...
|I added a huge dollup of fat free whipped cream|
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup sugar
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour*
2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups fat free vanilla soy milk
*If you don't have pastry flour substitute with 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour and 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour. **I used unbleached flour and sifted it twice.**
1. In a large bowl, using a fork, mix well the unsweetened applesauce, sugar, egg whites, vanilla extract, and lemon extract.
2.Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add this to the wet mixture alternately with soy milk, beating well after each addition.
3. Spread evenly into a greased and floured 13X9 sheet pan or two 9 in round baking pans, or cupcake pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
In a small sauce pan on low heat combine 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or lemon extract, tsp milk and continually stir until sugar is dissolved completely. Use teaspoon to drizzle on top of cake.
1. I used unbleached flour and sifted it twice to make if fine.
2. Skim or 1% milk can be substituted
3. I didn't use the glaze instead I used fat free whipped topping.
*If you have a dessert recipe that you are having trouble with or afraid to try, please send it to me along with a picture and I will give it a shot….
P.S. I don’t like coconut
I hope you enjoy
Bon appétit in Hawaiian- E ʻai ka-ua (you and I), E ʻai ka-kou (2+ people)